Thursday 10 November 2011

First Person - From A Horse's Perspective

Ammunition wagons tried to replenish getting about half-way to the gun, then shells from left, right and centre exploded blowing my mates and their pets to smithereens. It was a horrific sight but the last two weeks had made us used to it.
I loved my pet; there was a special bond between us after going through the thickest and thinnest of times. Ernie, my pet would bring me back corn and oats from the fields very early in the morning. It was always bland and not very appetizing; it didn’t fill me up at all but there weren’t any other foods around here.  I drank very little water because I wanted to leave some for Sally. Sally was the prettiest of them all; her mane still so shiny and her features still so glamorous. Day after day my belly moves further up into the middle of my back and one day the saddler had to come by to punch some more holes in my girth to keep my saddles on. I was fit and fine at the start but now, after all this I was starting to get weary.  
Back on the battlefield, blood and guts are everywhere, my mates lay dead with their pets kneeling beside them watching their horse ‘Bloody Germans!’ I hear them say.

*as this is from a horses perspective, they refer to their riders as pets

                          http://www.2ndnewyorkcavalry.us/uscavalryhistory.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment